Dry eye affects millions of Americans each year. It is an uncomfortable condition when one’s eyes do not have enough tears to stay moist. The team of eye care professionals at the Greater New Orleans Eye Care in Marrero, LA, can help identify and treat the cause and symptoms of dry eye.
Who May Be at Risk for Dry Eyes?
Those who are most likely to suffer from dry eye include:
- Individuals who are over 50.
- Individuals who wear contact lenses.
- Individuals who are in front of an electronic screen for many hours each day. This may include a mobile phone, tablet, laptop, desktop computer, etc.
- Individuals who live with chronic autoimmune diseases, like lupus, and more.
- Individuals with an out-of-balance diet with limited or no Vitamin A or Omega-4 fatty acids.
What Causes Dry Eye?
Dry eyes occur when eye glands do not make sufficient tears to keep your eyes moist. Some of the more common reasons dry eyes may occur include the following:
- Eye glands fail to make enough tears to keep eyes moist.
- Tears dry up too fast or do not keep your eyes wet enough.
Diagnosis and Treatment of Dry Eye
An eye doctor diagnoses dry eyes with a painless and comprehensive exam. It begins with the use of dilation drops which, in a matter of minutes, widen your pupils. A dilated pupil allows an eye doctor to better see the inner parts of each eye to assist in diagnosing several eye conditions, including Dry Eye. Treatment options for dry eyes include the following –
- Either prescription or over-the-counter eye drops that help add moisture to your eyes
- Lifestyle or environmental changes like -
- Restricting Screen Time.
- Drinking Additional Amounts of Water
- And Avoiding –
- Excessive Wind.
- Smoke and Smokey Environments.
- Air Conditioning.
Visit our Marrero, LA, Optometrist for Dry Eye Care
Call Greater New Orleans Eye Care today at (504) 348-2993 for more information or to schedule an appointment with our eye doctor.